Move over Academy Awards. There’s a new golden prize in town and it’s name is not Oscar. It’s the Sunshine Blogger Award.
What is the Sunshine Blogger Award?
The Sunshine Blogger Award is a nomination given to bloggers by bloggers. Members of the blogging community nominate others who they think are inspiring and bring sunshine into the lives of their readers.
Neelie over at Neelie’s Next Bite (a food blog I can get behind – always looking ahead to the next delicious thing on the horizon!) was nice enough to nominate little old me! Very cool of her, and now it’s my turn to spread the love.
1. Thank the person who nominated you, and post a link to their blog on your blog. (☝️️)
2. Answer the 11 questions your nominating blogger asked you. (👇)
3. Nominate other blogs and give them 11 questions to answer.
4. Notify your nominees.
5. List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award logo in your post. ☀️️
And now for the questions:
1. What is it that you like most about travelling?
It’s fun! This is one of those questions where people can get very philosophical, but I like to keep things simple. Travel is fun – there’s sun or snow, good food, beautiful things to see… there’s always something new to discover, no matter where to you travel to (even if it’s your own hometown).
2. What’s your favourite way of travelling and why (by bus, car, plane..)?
Probably train. Planes are a hassle – airports are far and hard to get to and security is a pain. Cars can be stressful, depending on the driver and traffic. And forget busses – I don’t need that kind of motion sickness in my life. Travelling by train is great, because stations are often city-center and you don’t get that nasty dried-out-yet-greasy feeling that sealed airplanes give you. You can step off the train and hit the ground running to see your destination straight away!
3. What’s the weirdest thing you’ve eaten during your travels?
I love food, but I’m not the most daring of eaters. The weirdest thing so far is probably… tripe? #AmateurHour over here, I know. But it was my very first trip to France when I was 17, and that rubbery, …distinctive texture was something I still do not forget to this day, more than a decade later.
4. What’s the most wonderful encounter you’ve had with local people in a different country?
In Italy, I had my dream scenario (mostly) play out in real life. I was in Florence and, though we were mostly winging it, there was one restaurant I had picked out in advance for its great reviews and reputation as a local favorite. So there we were, enjoying our delicious Italian meal, when the guy at the table next to us spontaneously starts chatting with us and invited us to stay over a bottle of wine. I was living a movie cliche and it was great.
5. What travel experience will you never ever forget about?
This is an easy one! My trip to Vienna. It was Christmastime and it was beautiful. Lights and trees and Christmas markets everywhere! Oh, and it was where I got engaged 😊 A completely unforgettable trip for so many reasons.
6. What do you miss most about home when you’re travelling?
My cat. As an expat, I sort of always feel a little bit like I’m travelling. So what feels like “home” can vary in meaning. Sometimes missing home is where I live now, my bed, my life. Sometimes missing home is home-home, back on ever-comforting and familiar American soil. But no matter which home I’m thinking of, the one true constant is that furry little nutcase. She’s a weirdo, but she’s our weirdo and we always miss her when we’re away!
7. What’s your travel ritual, something you always do before or during your trip?
Quadruple check that I have my passport, constantly. I’m always afraid I’m going to either lose it or forget it.
8. Are you more a chilling-at-the-beach or a mountain-climbing type of person?
If those are the only options, you’ll definitely find me firmly entrenched on the beach. If there’s a spectrum to be played with, then I’d say I’m usually somewhere in the middle! It all depends on the day and destination. Sometimes I want to go hiking in Iceland. Other times I want to lay on the beach and only get up for brunch. Sometimes I want to hit the streets and walk my feet off in a cool new city. (but I pretty much never want to go mountain climbing)
9. What place do you think every traveller should have seen at least once in their lives?
Paris. But I’m biased.
But really! It’s cliché and on every Top Something List for a reason. See the Eiffel Tower and tell me it’s not crazy impressive. Eat a baguette with French cheese and wine on the terrasse of a cafe and just try to tell me it’s not awesome. I dare you.
10. Do you use a guidebook when you travel or do you just wander off into the unknown?
I don’t do guidebooks. I do spreadsheets. Lots and lots of spreadsheets, and documents, and columns organizing activities with links and promo codes and times of day and notes.
11. What’s your ultimate travel goal?
To see all the places on my list (an impossible goal – the list keeps growing!)
And now my turn for nominations!
I’m no big famous blogger, but I believe that basically any blogger can bring “sunshine” into their readers’ lives, even if the only readers are their parents. Especially if the only readers are their parents!
So, I nominate the following intrepid bloggers for the Sunshine Blogging Award:
1) Paulie from Paulie Loves Food (I mean the name alone… I feel you)
2) The gals over at Her Happy Heart (you had me at “lazy lady”)
3) The eponymous Thivy Michelle for cool fashion and cooler tips
4) Darrica from Dear Darrica for her real talk on how much grocery shopping sucks (and other stuff)
My questions for you:
- Why did you start blogging?
- What is your all-time favorite thing you’ve ever written?
- What are you most looking forward to in the next few months?
- What are you least looking forward to in the next few months?
- Name 1 place you would go right this second if you had a free ticket.
- What is the most exciting thing you’ve ever done?
- What is something you’ve done that you don’t want to do again?
- Would you rather live in a big city or the rural countryside forever?
- What type of food could you not live without?
- What’s your favorite color – and how many things can you see right now that are that color?
- What brings sunshine into your life?
Now go be sunshiney! We could use it around here, it’s been rainy and awful in Paris for days. Here’s hoping spring comes sooner rather than later!